Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy birthday Daddy!


This is a picture of my mom and dad in 1939. The year they got married. Today is my Daddy's birthday. He is 94 years old. He has alzheimer's and probably doesn't really realize it's his birthday. My Mom takes good care of him (she's only 91). She still drives him to his doctor's appointments, to church and out to lunch on Sundays. (If you're in Jackson, it's a big white buick...just sayin...)




Let me tell you a little about my Daddy.


He used to own the Logan Barber Shop for over 50 years in Mississippi. I still have guys tell me "your dad used to cut my hair". When I was a teenager in the 60s and 70s, this was not a good thing...long hair was in. More than once I had boys come to me to complain, "Look what your old man did to me - he scalped me!" Up until a few years ago, he used to cut his buddies' hair in his barber chair out on the back porch. My husband still says my Dad gives the BEST haircuts of any he has had. One thing, if you notice any of my childhood pictures, I always had pretty short bangs, and not always real straight. Thanks Dad.

My Dad has taught me a lot about life.

He served in the Pacific in WWII. He is patriotic and taught me to love being an American. Thanks Dad.
He is a God fearing man who was a Baptist Deacon at the same church for over 50 years. He made us go to church EVERY Sunday and Wednesday. I resented this when I was younger, but now I am so grateful he did. He taught me to love music. He sang in the choir, but no one had the nerve to tell him he couldn't carry a tune very well unless of course he sat next to another loud BASS voice who could sing well. They always put him next to the same man. As a kid, I hated having to listen to good old gospel music on the car radio on Sundays when we would drive to see my grandmother 2 hours away. Now I LOVE a good old gospel tune.
He got me my first job at age 16 as a cashier at the local Sunflower Grocery Store. Taught me the value of hard work and how convenient my own money is to have. Thanks Dad.
He bought me my first sports car...a fiat spyder convertible. I STILL love a cool car. Thanks Dad.
He told me I was smart enought and HAD to go to college. I have 3 degrees. Thanks Dad. He taught me that it is important to find something you love to do, then go do it. I still love being a nurse. Thanks Dad.

Dad was VERY active and healthy until his late 80s. He still went fishing and hunting with his buddies. For the last few years, I think his buddies just perched him up in the deer stand. When I would ask "Dad did you get one?" He would say, "no, I guess I'm just not as quick as I used to be." It didn't really matter, he just loved being out in the woods, and spotting a deer was just as much fun as actually getting one.

Even though he will never read this, I want to tell him this:

Even though life wasn't always the happiest (well, especially during those teenage years of angst and turmoil...sorry 'bout that) I am so blessed to have had him for my Dad.

I love you Daddy. Happy Birthday.

(Can't wait til we all get to heaven and his mind is back healthy again.)

2 comments:

Paper Potter said...

If my Dad was still living, he would be 91 now, too. And he was a lot like your Dad: Godly, patriotic, served in the Navy during WWII on the flight line, and taught me to work hard, have courage, and I could do anything I put my mind to. I miss him so much.

mary.mimi said...

Where have all the good dads gone? Mine too..they just dont make men like that these days...WELL some of us have found the next best thing.
Maybe our dads have met up there, dominoes anyone, and are best buds like us. :) My dad would be the yungun. He would be 80. What a thought. Somehow I never thought of my dad as old, kinda like Elvis. :) Enjoy your moments and memories..

Blog Archive