Friday, March 18, 2011

St Baldrick's Day



Unless you've been under a rock or not a facebook friend...




I am shaving my head for a cause. So this is my BEFORE picture...actually my hair is much longer than this. I've not had a haircut since December.




It's called St. Baldrick's day. It all started this time a year ago. I saw a banner for this foundation at a local Tucson bar....you see people shave their heads around St. Patrick's day to raise funds for childhood cancer research. You can read more about it HERE.




Anyway, a 21 year old patient of mine in Tucson encouraged me to do it. I said "OK, I would do it for $1000." When he died in August, I was priveleged to be in his room with his parents, and decided right then to keep my promise. So, when January came, I signed up. In less than a week, I had raised $1000. Thank you Celia & Mark for getting me started. I've been so blessed by people's generosity and kindness.




Did I mention that a group of my friends from high school banned together and donated about $250 in memory of another friend's son who was killed in the middle of his senior year last year. These are people I haven't seen in 30 years. Aren't people just wonderful?




As of now, I have personally raised $2500. I am leading a team from our hospital and all total we have raised $4700!!!! In my lifetime, the survival rate for some childhood cancers has gone from 3% to almost 90%...all because of research. I'm proud to be part of that.




Thank you Adrian. Thank you Patrick...I hope both of you are laughing your heads off tomorrow as I go bald for you.




Here's my after picture...heh-heh.


4 comments:

Paper Potter said...

Dang! If you had told me I'd have that arm tone after shaving my head, I'd have joined you! :) PROUD of you, girl!

annie's mom said...

think I'll have that chin line too?

annie's mom said...

maybe i shudda gotten a spray on tan too....hummm.

Sara said...

You look GREAT! :0)
Way to go... I'm proud of you!

Blog Archive