Thursday, March 31, 2011

It's Prom time of year...

Which reminds me of this. This is ME and one of my best friends, Allen. We were neighbors since 7th grade. In this particular picture (circa 1975), my steady boyfriend at the time did not dance. So instead of sitting at home in my freshman year of college, Allen went with me. His suit came from a fancy store in Jackson, Mississippi called "The Rogue" and he was P.R.O.U.D. to say he bought it with his own money. My dress was a loaner from my steady boyfriend's mother. As I recall we had a great time. I'm sure we danced to Average White Band, Comodores, Doobie Brothers, Chicago til the cows came home. Afterward, a group of my friends all came to my parents house where my mom had fixed breakfast for us. Allen died when we were in our early 30s of lymphoma related to AIDs. He was the first person I knew who died of the terrible disease. I knew he was very sick, and every day I procrastinated calling him to say hello. When my Mom called to say he was near death, I got in my car, and drove the 7 hours in less than 5, crying all the way. He had died by the time I got there. Allen taught me to never, never procrastinate. He taught me to treasure each day with loved ones. His death encouraged me to "do something" with my life, and I enrolled in nursing school the following fall.

Now to a lighter topic....why in the world did the dance committee think that a red, white & blue backdrop would look universally good???? We did our best to color coordinate our outfits, only to be overshadowed by that setting, don't you think???


And, yes that is my best natural "Sun In" hair color too. Oh, and just one other thing....POSTURE was not my best friend. Why in the world disn't someone say "stand straight Lisa!"

1 comment:

Paper Potter said...

Buwahahahahahaha! I'm so glad all of my pictures from that era have been lost! On a more somber note, I'm so so so sorry you didn't make it in time, or the day before. {hugs} my friend!

Blog Archive