Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hug your kid

Today was a sad day. Part of my job is to see "survivors" of cancer. These are kids who have received whatever treatment for their cancer (chemo, radiation, surgery or any combo). They have been followed closely for two years after treatment ends...then after 2 years they come to "Surivivor Clinic" which is run by the other nurse practitioner and I. It's nice to see these kids out in the world, hopefully on their way to being a productive member of society.

Today one of our little 4 year old survivors (treated as a baby), whom I had met for the first time back around Thanksgiving, was in a terrible auto crash. Mom was driving (38 weeks pregnant), grandma was in the front, and my little friend was in the back seat in her booster seat. There was a head on collision. My little friend and her grandma were both killed. Mom is also in the ICU, but they have allowed her to have a room next door to her daughter who is being kept breathing to donate her organs. Her baby is OK, but she has a fractured pelvis, so birth will be tricky.

This is a Christian family. Nice people. Kind people. Oh, did I mention that Mom is also a cancer survivor? Why do so many terrible things happen to one family?

These are the days when it's hard to comprehend how our loving Father can allow so much pain.

It has been a very sad day for everyone in our clinic who have known this precious family for 3 years. Please keep them in your prayers.

Then go HUG your family. And, please buckle up always.

5 comments:

Paper Potter said...

Oh Lisa, I'm so sorry! For everyone, but I'm so sorry that I'm not THERE to share a cuppa with ya. I'm going to Ingram to hug that little guy of ours. His tiny little arms around my neck are the sweetest thing in all the world.

annie's mom said...

Here's the "rest of the story"...the 28 year old guy who hit them ran the redlite, driving in excessive speed and on a suspended license. Driving a big ol' gangsta surburban T-boned the family in their car.

Mom went into labor and the new baby was born today, weighing 8 lbs. healthy girl.

Grandpa sent an email to all friends and family last night asking for all of us to pray for the driver who hit them.

The Pennington Point said...

Oh Lis! I was already in tears when I read your comment about the grandpa asking for prayer for the driver.

I gave birth to Grace only 4 days after the loss of our oldest child. I know how hard it is to bond with a new baby when your heart is breaking. I am praying now for this family and I know that our great and loving God will meet them right where they are. Lisa~

~kristi said...

No wonder God put you on my heart so heavily this week. So glad the baby is ok.

Paper Potter said...

Have you kept in touch with Grandpa or Mom? This continues to bring tears to overflowing ....

Blog Archive